Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It takes courage...

As of this week, both of my internships are in full-swing. [Education and Community Engagement at Hennepin Theatre Trust, & Marketing at The Cowles Center for Dance and the Performing Arts]. 

I just wanted to land a quick note about how my recent career decisions have affirmed exactly where I want to be. Deciding to work 40 hours/week for free wasn't easy, and it's only the first month. I expect it may only get more difficult. But in my book, hearing ballet classes (live piano!) in the background, and getting insider access to amazing Broadway productions (The Lion King!) are very validating factors. I have given myself to the performing arts my entire life. Why change gears now? Ask some, and they'll tell you nonprofits don't pay. Ask me, and I'll tell you it's where I'm happy. I know this industry, and if I work as hard as I plan, I'll be bringing in the entertainment for Minneapolis for a long while. 

I'm doing everything I know how to do; everything I want to do. I'm in charge of Hennepin Theatre's historic tours, I'm involved in giving underserved communities access to theatre tickets through donations, I will be tag-teaming an adult, theatre networking session each month, I've archived a year's worth of magazine/newspaper clippings (arts&crafts, anyone? :) and I get to construct an entire social media campaign. This is the work that my peers are doing as well, but I am just so lucky to have my work centered in live theatre. It's going to be a wonderful spring, everyone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment